Sunday, April 03, 2005

Music will provide the light you cannot resist.. - I'm Gonna DJ.

R.E.M. – Around the Sun Tour
March 31, April 1, Sydney Entertainment Centre

Support: Both nights Little Birdy (Perth, Australia) and Bright Eyes (Omaha, Nebraska), and both were introduced by Michael Stipe.

Little Birdy
They were okay. I thought their mix was akward on the first night, the vocals seemed drowned out, but things did improve for the second night. I am not that familiar with their music, but they did sound like a very tight group. I recognised very few songs, just Beautiful to Me, and also played Excited (a recent release?).

Bright Eyes (These may not be entirely accurate)
March 31:
Everything Must Belong Somewhere / We Are Nowhere Now / Old Soul Song / Landlocked Blues / Another Travelling Song / Blue.
April 1:
Everything Belongs Somewhere / Poison Oak / Old Soul Song / Lua / Road to Joy.

I would definitely pay to see them top a bill. I was impressed with the bands musicianship, and that they played different songs each night. Their performance of Landlocked Blues on the first night was close to the best performed song I’ve heard live, from any band. Bright Eyes are definitely not a band to listen to if you need to be cheered up. Connor was engaging over the two nights, perhaps joking around a little more the second night – he mentioned on the first night how Old Soul Song was written about a protest rally in New York, and Blue, a song written for Sesame Street. All in all, with their honest and at times depressing songwriting, and excellent musicianship, they are a band to watch out for.

R.E.M.
Firstly it was great to be able to talk about the first night with M., and then share the second night with F, and J. I was a touch disappointed in the numbers at both gigs. But it didn’t seem to bother R.E.M. who played two intense, energetic, and memorable gigs. Of course, inspite of the great set (on both nights) I still would have liked to hear a number of older songs (It’s the End of the World … , Country Feedback), but eh, after reading through the setlists below, there is no reason to complain.

March 31
I Took Your Name / Bad Day / Wake-up Bomb / Maps and Legends / The Outsiders / Electron Blue / Electrolite / Strange Currencies / The Great Beyond / I’ve Been High / Leaving New York / Orange Crush / I Wanted To Be Wrong / Final Straw / Imitation of Life / The One I Love / Walk Unafraid / Losing My Religion.
Encore: What’s the Frequency Kenneth? / Everybody Hurts / Drive [Happy Birthday to Bob – a roadie of 14 years] / Animal / I’m Gonna DJ / Man on the Moon.

April 1
Finest Worksong / Bad Day / So Fast, So Numb / Boy in the Well / So Central Rain / Electron Blue / Disturbance at the Heron House / Leaving New York / Seven Chinese Brothers / Animal / The Great Beyond / Orange Crush / I Wanted to be Wrong / Final Straw / Imitation of Life / The One I Love / The Great Beyond / Walk Unafraid / Losing My Religion
Encore: What’s the Frequency Kenneth? / Everybody Hurts / Exhuming McCarthy (Happy Birthday and Cake for Bob) / Sweetness Follows / I’m Gonna DJ / Man on the Moon.

Michael, and band were almost intoxicating on stage, full of energy and life, and the crowd, also were matching it, particularly in the older songs, Orange Crush, The One I Love, Losing My Religion and Man on the Moon. Quite good value for money too, both shows ran for roughly 110 minutes. The lighting and stage set-up was great, the background was create with rods of lights going down and across behind the band, and also a video monitor across the top of the stage.

The new record translated well to the stage. The rap in “The Outsiders” works better with Michael doing it. Electron Blue, introduced as Michael’s favourite song from the new record, was excellent too. “I Wanted to Be Wrong” and “Final Straw”, described as Michael’s message for his nation, gained a new lease of life on stage, the vocals became more emotive, and had an edge which was not necessarily lacking on the record, but was definitely stronger on stage. It was sung in front of Red, White and Blue lights, in a somber and reflective mood. Leaving New York, which opens the record and is one of my favourite newer R.E.M. songs, was performed well, I love Michael and Peter Buck’s vocal harmonies, though perhaps the sound is clearer here on the record.

Michael Stipe during the first night dedicated Strange Currencies (from the Monster album) to a friend, Michael Hutchence. Monster, it must be said is not R.E.M.’s best CDs, but the three songs they played – I Took Your Name, Strange Currencies, and What’s the Frequency Kenneth, sounded great live. I Took Your Name is a great opener.

Both nights Imitation of Life, was introduced with a preface, the bands first number one radio single … in Japan, and one the second night, he proudly claimed to the crowd that he’d nailed the chorus for the first time.

One of the joys of a band playing multiple nights in once city is that chance that they may mix around the setlist. I didn’t go to the second of the Radiohead concerts in Sydney last year, and I missed what was a great second night. Once the second R.E.M. show was announced, I thought that if I could get some friends to go, I would.

The second night was a little bit more punchy than the first, featuring rarities such as Finest Worksong, Boy in the Well (from the new CD), So Central Rain, Disturbance at the Heron House (played for the fourth time, in twelve years), 7 Chinese Brothers, Exhuming McCarthy (a fan request), and Sweetness Follows. The first night had a few surprises too: Maps and Legends, and I’ve Been High.

One of the bands roadies didn’t mention to the band it was his birthday, and consequently the band pulled him on stage during the encore, in order to embarrass him, and to sing Happy Birthday, and on the second night they sang Happy Birthday and gave him a cake.

Michael also asked the audience how many people had seen R.E.M. before, and on both nights, roughly one-third indicated they had, which I guess I found surprising. But then again as Michael Stipe reminded us, it has been 10 years since they were last here for the Monster tour in 1995.

Michael and band, then played I’m Gonna DJ, which is a really catchy tune, and he said it will be on the new record. The concert then concluded with a great version of Man on the Moon. (On the second night, included an Aussie Aussie Aussie, chant.., led by Peter Buck)

Hopefully it won’t be ten years before they are back in Australia. Oh for the time and money, to follow them to Melbourne…

No comments:

Post a Comment