Saturday, January 07, 2006

Music of My Soul

One of the things I deeply love is music, and I’ve become passionate about Christian Music; but I wasn’t always like this, I guess I thought I would think of Christian music as quite bad. I was wrong.

Through a number of years I spent in a chat-room hosted on Rebecca St. James website I was introduced to the variety of Christian bands. So given that it is about 10 years since I started visiting that chat-room I thought that I would give a list of 10 Christian CD’s that I think are worth picking up whether you are familiar with Christian Music or not. I’m not going to rate these in any order (because taste is subjective).

I first heard some of these artists on a mix-tape that Karen B. [thanks, and I've probably almost worn the tape out ;)] did for me (exceptions are Switchfoot (AWTR), Nichole Nordeman (Matthew), and The Normals (RSJ-Chat).

Note: I’ve decided that the few greatest hits or worship cds I own are ineligible – the only unlucky CDs, Newsboys – Shine, Keith Green (the collections), and the City on a Hill projects (many of the artists on this list have songs on the City on a Hill projects).

Jars of Clay – Self-titled

On the basis of Worlds Apart which remains my favourite Christian song (the live version is absolutely amazing). But the CD remains to me as fresh now as it was when I bought it.

Nichole Nordemann – Wide-Eyed (or Woven and Spun)

Consistently my favourite singer-songwriter, each of her albums offers a different and honest view of her Christian-life. Nichole isn’t afraid to ask questions, and this is perhaps her greatest strength.

The Normals – Coming to Life

We are the Beggars at the Foot of God’s Door , Coming to Life, combine fantastic song-writing, with a tight musical sound. Unfortunately like a few on this list The Normals are no longer together as a band,

Third Day – Wire

Could possibly have gone with the first self-titled CD, but I think they continue to grow as a band with every release. I have often thought Mac Powell has a similar voice to the lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish. I guess you would call their style traditional southern rock. Wire is I think the most rich lyrically of their collection.

Jennifer Knapp – Lay it Down

I first heard Jennifer Knapp at the Harvest Crusades, and really loved her voice. She has such a rich expressive voice. Her song writing is quite good. Though I think she is another who is no longer producing CDs.

Switchfoot – The Beautiful Letdown

Provides a(nother) reason why watching ‘chick-flicks’ is good for you; their songs on the soundtrack to A Walk to Remember, first captured my interest. On Fire is reason alone to buy their CD. Only Hope, from the movie is another of their great songs – though it is on the soundtrack, and A New Way to be Human

Rebecca St James – God (or Transform)

Ironically, I think this is the artist I hesitated most over. But each of these CDs contains great and original songwriting, and equal numbers of my favourite songs. But I think God perhaps speaks to me a little more.

Sarah Masen – The Holding

I was captivated by the lyrics and her sound, mostly – acoustic guitar. It is simply a beautiful album.

“In Him I find the hope to walk on down that dark narrow road”.

Clear – Clear

The tracks on this CD cover a variety of themes – their take on Ecclesiastes (Chasing After the Wind); Evangelism (Why) and the perhaps my favourite song (What Your Grace Can Do).

Nouveaux – […] And this is how I feel

The first song I heard from this was Maybe Tomorrow, which is a beautiful song about waiting for love. “No one else to hold on to // until I’m holding you”. But the song that really grabbed, and continues to grab onto me – You Breathe – Father You Breathe and I hear you whispering // and your mercies carry me // Father you breathe and your presence fills the air // and I find my solace there.

No comments:

Post a Comment