Monday, May 31, 2010

Leviathan ... and other pages

Just finished reading John Birmingham's Leviathan; which is a biography of the city of Sydney. It was great to learn more about the history of Sydney; and it doesn't just focus on the positive character of the city. Well worth a read. I'm now starting to read Cormac McCarthy's The Road, the bit of which I read is beautifully phrased; before diving into: Battlelines (Tony Abbott); Stardust (Neil Gaiman); and Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell).

It will be interesting to read Tony Abbott's book; I haven't agreed with him on a number of key policies (eg Immigration and refugees), but it will be interesting to read how he thinks about these issues. A few of my friends have always raved about Neil Gaiman, so I will be good to read another of his; and David Mitchell was another recommendation. It is so great living close to a great library.

+++

And on another note ...  I'm not one to read much into these things, but in a friendly last weekend, New Zealand beat Serbia 1-0 in a game of Football. It is only the second time that the All Whites have beaten European opposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment