Some points that I jotted down during his talk.
- Vsion doesn't win elections, the current Australia is one without a vision or narrative,
- Polls tie you to the immediate and the present, not what the future can be,
- With the defeat of Keating, Australian politics lost "language"
- Governing is about leading and changing public opinion, not just listening to polls; we have lost the language of change and leadership
- speech-writers - the work of the author & speaker, the author writes the words and convictions of the speaker (and the speaker brings life to these words)
- speech writing is about the putting people into the story of the nation
Ater tonight, I am missing Keating, would love see more people with his vision in politics; and I'm missing Watson too, would love to have more people like him working and writing for our politicians.