Sunday, February 26, 2012

February music


Thought I'd take some time, to write about a few CD's  I have been listening to during 2012. All of these are available via i-tunes. Alternatively you can download a sample from Noisetrade, for a tip, like or tweet.

The City I Long For - The City I Long For


A wonderful, but short (five songs), EP. Features great versions of two of my favourite hymns; Come Thou Font' and It is Well with My Soul. It is characterised by the harmonies of the singers.  Wouldn't mind trying to sing these hymns, with the new arrangements.

Of the other songs We Will Rise is a beautiful song reminding us that, we will rise with Christ. Now's Not the Time brought to mind how this world is harassed and helpless like sheep without the Shepherd.


Overall a beautiful collection of songs both in terms of the music and words.

Stop the Noise - Carisa Turner 

The lyrics are what I'm drawn too when I listen to new music, and what strikes me from her EP is how she writes about her experiences of life, and how easily I could relate to these.

Pocket of the World reminds me of our thoughts on the weekend mornings.  I love the encouraging declarations in We Declare. Her personal declaration in My King, and honesty in asking What Would I do in response to Jesus' call to 'come and follow'. Lost at Sea capturing the all too familiar feeling of  when the wider world, and our personal worlds seem out of control.


Perhaps fittingly, the EP ends by her telling of her longing (and one we can all relate to), for stillness to hear the voice of the Lord. .

Hello Stranger - Nick Flora


While listening to this, on the bus, I felt like I was listening to Nick tell me his story, with the stranger in the title being the listener. The highlight of the album, was how the album unpacked through a few songs the nature of relationship. The song which best showed this was Tired of Me (w/ Stacy Lantz) . Which is written like a couple having a discussion about their relationship, I've built these walls to protect my fragile heart, moving to how 'love without risks holds no reward, and ending with how they: See the world through each others eyes'.



Flora also often uses a "tongue-in-cheek" perspective one example being Presence of Greatness. The album was produced by Andrew Osenga. As an aside, Andrew Osenga's music is definitely worth checking out.

Beloved, Look Up - Lara Landon

Lara has a new album due out in May
and The River will be on that album.
When I listened to her album for this first time her voice stuck with me. The album is a collection of worship songs, and the tone of the lyrics as like an older sister sharing her experiences and journeys with you. The title track 'Beloved', take the listener to Romans 8 (how nothing can seperate us from the love of God) and perhaps also Ezkl 16 (which paints a vivid picture of God's love toward a faithless bride).

While writing about Lara Landon, it's hard not to mention Look up. The song Look Up is available as a single track (w/ proceeds going to an appeal for Haiti), very moving song, about the strength shown through trials and an encouragement to persevere.

The full lyrics of the song are:
"You're amazing. With a year like yours, I'm not sure I'd be standing
My inspiration. Seen you face each blow with strength I can't imagine.
But it seems lately you're at the very end.
I search for words to help you keep on going...
Look Up. Never turn back.
The last step that takes all your strength may be your new beginning.
There's no shame in being afraid.
Just keep the faith, keep believing.
Look up.
Between two mountains and it seems each day they keep on getting bigger
we pray together but I don't know what to do to make it better, no.
Look Up. Never turn back.
The last step that takes all your strength may be your new beginning.
There's no shame in being afraid.
Just keep the faith, keep believing.
Look up.
This life is worth the fight I know you'll win.
Jesus sees us and He knows how hard you're trying.
He knows you're trying..
Look Up. Never turn back.
The last step that takes all your strength may be your new beginning.
There's no shame in being afraid.
Just keep the faith, keep believing.
Look up."
Chasing Summer - Chasing Summer

Chasing Summer best fit in the same niche as The Civil Wars & The Swell Season. The band Chasing Summer is Tammy Rochelle and Joseph Bamber. One of the highlights for me is the medley of Amazing Grace' & 'Swing low Sweet Chariot'.

Really enjoy both The Darkest Night & There for Me. These songs feature Joseph singing. In The Darkest Night he sings over the top of a single acoustic guitar. Both these songs highlight how God will never let us go, holding us by His love.

++
All things considered, these five albums are all worth checking out. I'm looking forward to the new album by  Andrew Osenga and All Sons and Daughters, both of which should be out in the first half of 2012.  I'm also going to write about another duo which I'm listening to quite a bit Jenny & Tyler.

No comments:

Post a Comment