Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Club 5

Over the long weekend I went to Club 5, which is a weekend, were people meet and think through the issues around Ministry – such as What it is?, and why we should all be doing it? This is the second year I have attended this conference, and I think that it is one of the more valuable conferences that I have attend.

On of the really great things about the conference is that you get to spend time with a mature Christian who has been involved in Christian (paid) ministry, and talk about your situation. The other really awesome thing is the chance to take the time to meet up with other people who are thinking through largely the same questions you are.

For me, I think I left the weekend with more questions than answers. I left with a lot to think about, which has been helpful. In terms of decision-making, I think that I am working towards starting MTS in 2005-2006. But I think that I need to pray, think, and talk through the decision a little more.

In the talks we looked at 1 Thessalonians with David Cook (The Principle of Sydney Missionary Bible College), and Phillip Jensen challenged us from 2 Corinthians 5. Through Thessalonians I was challenged about what it means to imitate and model Christ. The question that was on my heart through David's talk was are we getting fat on Gospel Ministry in Sydney. We do have so many opportunites in Sydney, but of those whom much is given, much is demanded.

One of the things that was mentioned during the weekend were SUS-Groups. Now I think these are a really great idea. A SUS Group basically means meeting with like-minded Christians who are concerned for world mission. Meeting with other Christians - finding out more about mission work in another country, or area, and praying for that country specifically. (And who knows, you may end up going to the country that you are SUS'ing out).

Lastly the conference reminded me that I need a correct understanding of Ministry. Ministry is laying down your cross and following Jesus, living with Jesus as LORD, bowing your knee and being Godly.

For some, this command means leaving paid work behind;
for some it means working in the job they are, living a Godly live, being active in church, and committed to mission;
for others it means jumping on a plane and leaving Australia behind and being a doctor, teacher or engineer on the mission field.

For all of us, it means living each day in the light of God’s word and the return of the King, which is a challenge!!

No comments:

Post a Comment