Sunday, December 14, 2003

Another weekend and another Wedding…

Well, for every season there is a time, and it seems that it is marriage season for my friends. I’ve recently posted my thoughts on marriage. So I’m not going to do that again but what I do want to leave is two thoughts from yesterday.

Firstly, the wedding yesterday was rather non-traditional, no flower girls, no groomsman, no rain shelter (read Church Building). The wedding may have been different, but it was typical Pete and Gabby. They wrote most of the service themselves; and then they spoke to God, each other, and also us. It was beautiful, because it did nothing but speak of their frailty and God’s strength. It spoke of how though the vows they made were amazing, and seemingly impossible to keep, God would be with them, and empower them. The rings would be a symbol for them, and to us, of not simply the promises they made, but the God who will enable them to keep these promises, and who keeps His.

But at the same time, part of me wondered why it is that some ministers are not able to conduct wedding ceremonies outdoors. For it is the people inside the rain shelter that consecrate the building, so they consecrated people gathering outside, are also part of the church? What are other people’s views on this?

The other thing I wanted to share is just how much I love Christian “weddings”. You catch up with people you may not see regularly. But on top of that, yesterday God taught me so much through conversation with other Christians, and that was a really blessing, being able to meet people for the first time, or the first time in a long time, and being able to just talk about God, Christ, and what that means for us. And that’s a beautiful thing – I guess it’s not surprising, in the sense that Christian’s have so much in common in one sense, our life goal, purpose and direction is determined by Christ.

It’s actually interesting, but I’ve learnt a whole lot about what to think about marriage from my friends who are now married. The last three weeks, have taught me so much about marriage, and more fundamentally, God’s love for his bride, the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment