Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Growing up in the 21st Century

Reading the newspaper today has convinced me that I would not want to be a child these days

For a start as Karen posted, there is the way our nation has been treating children. The Age today published an article tackling the mandatory detention of children with reference to Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland, and Through the Looking glass.

The article particularly mentions the ‘double bind’ (best illustrated by a sign labelled ‘Ignore this sign’), and the classic dialogue in which the character Humpty Dumpty claims ‘When I use a word – I say what it means’ or its not about the meaning of the words, but who is in control.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with the government’s stance on border control, again the point is made; how we treat those who are the weakest amongst us; or those at the dawn of there life shows our humanity. This Christmas, there’s a sense in which I am embarrassed by Australia’s lack of Humanity, (and its’ inability to keep promises it has made). The treatment of asylum seekers, and as the article highlights, the manipulation of communication with asylum seekers goes beyond what is moral or defensible.

However one also needs to say, its not simply these children our nation has failed. A Canadian Educational Developmental index highlights, that over one third of Australia’s Children are either vulnerable or high risk of not achieving their educational potential.

The article claims: that the most protective factor – in any socio-economic circumstance - whether their mother works, or not, whether they go to child care, or not, whether they are black, white, immigrant or native born, whether they are clever or not - is an intact family. Children need both mother and father.

In this age of human liberty, it is adult needs and wants that are having a lasting impact on children. According to another article in the Australian, 90 per cent of respondents to a Relationships Australia survey believe that the trend toward dual career households was jeopardising relationships as neither partner would compromise individual goals for the sake of relationship, or family.

As I read these stories I grieve. Our papers, seemingly more each day highlight for us man’s total depravity. We desire rights, yet will not be accept our responsibility. We want the right to carry, bear, adopt or abort children, yet are unwilling to reconsider, sacrifice, or put on hold our desires, and think through the costs of raising and teaching our offspring.

Yet, there is hope, in the offspring of a virgin born over 2000 years ago, hope for restoration was fulfilled. Though sometimes, the certain hope, is hard to see.

Human Rights Day - December 10

The world speaks of rights. I have the right to an education; I have the right to believe what I can. I have rights for what I can do; and what can not be done to me. Perhaps its time for a change lets no longer talk of our rights, rather our responsibilities; that is what we should do, with what has been entrusted to us.

Our world ignores responsibility; when my team loses, it was the referee’s call; If I spill coffee, it’s someone else’s fault, or "my life is ruined because of my parents"; we fail to take responsibility for ourselves.

As a Christian, I am responsible for the way I live my life, I am responsible for every idle and considered word; I am accountable before God. I am accountable for how I respond to the responsibilities he has given to me.

What are my responsibilities as a citizen, as a son, as an employee, as a brother, my responsibilities to those who are weaker than I, to those who are come, and to those who have passed?

No comments:

Post a Comment