Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Australian of the Year …

Since I live in Australia, I really probably shouldn’t say this. I’ve got nothing against Steve Waugh. The man was a great Cricketer for Australia, and has an awesome humanitarian streak as well, and as John Howard commented, he is someone that the typical (if there is such a thing) would identify with.

But, I guess I wonder about it. Over the last seven years, if we look at the Australian of the Year; four winners (Steve Waugh; Pat Rafter; Mark Taylor, and Cathy Freeman) have been sportsmen or women. I guess it does highlight for us all that place that sport holds in the Australian psyche.

In a sense, if Steve Waugh had not been Australia’s cricket captain, and still done what he did in India, would he have won? My first thought is no.

I like the idea of Australian’s of the year, being unsung heroes; people who have not been in the spotlight, but doing extraordinary things. I personally would like to see people from other fields like science and the arts being recognised more frequently too.

Anyway, just some random thoughts … though, can’t quite think who I’d have picked as Australian of the Year ….

No comments:

Post a Comment