Tuesday, July 20, 2004

The Proust Questionnaire

Inspired by Ben, Deb, and Kathleen, I've decided to also post this questionnaire. I'll probably revisit it on the eve of my 30th birthday, in 2007. 
 
What is your present state of mind?
Restless, uncertain, and hopeful. Rethinking where I will be next year. Yet knowing that in one sense my call is simple, to be holy.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Resting in the knowledge that in Christ I am secure. Maybe that’s it security for the present, and for the future.

Which historical figure do you most identify with?
I’ve thought about this a little, and I have not really felt like I’ve come up with anyone.

What is the trait you most dislike in others?
Dishonesty, insincerity

What is your greatest extravagance?
CD’s, Books. I spend way too much money on these things.

What is your favourite journey?
In terms of travelling, the journey from Sydney to Wollongong, seeing as for 2 years I did it twice a day. It was and is a priceless 90 minutes. Time to read, to write, to sleep, and to enjoy God’s creation, the last two times I've travelled I've had the pleasure of seeing the sunrise over the ocean. Now it’s the journey between homes, much like the plane trip across the Tasman. 

Where would you like to live?
Close to family.  It’s one of the things that has marked my childhood, is that I have always been some distance away from my grandparents. I’d like to be close to my family. 

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Grand. It’s all good.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
A good story, an encouraging, challenging conversation or debate, walks on the beach.

When and where were you happiest?
Wandering through the cities of Washington, and the UK for the first time last July, walking around the Irish countryside, spending a night in Ohau looking up at the Southern star filled sky, Floating on Milford sound, under clear skies. Flying over the Southern Alps, from Milford, to Queenstown, Sitting on the banks of the Yarra, reading Les Miserables, spending time talking discussing life, the universe and everything with my brother and sister, and friends. Witnessing the wedding of one of my childhood friends, in NZ.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Probably my self-criticism.

What do you most value in your friends?
Their encouragement, their rebukes, and exhortations, being able to talk about the things that matter, and being able to just be “silly” together.  Being able to share the joys and sorrows of life with them.


What would you like to be?
Humble, peaceful, content

What natural gift would you most like to possess?
I’d love the ability to write, or to play music.

In what country would you like to live?
Seeing as I’ve spent just about half my life in New Zealand and Australia, I’d love to live in either country. Outside those two, living in the Irish countryside, or Canada would be great.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Travelling overseas independently, having the opportunity to preach to my old church family, seeing people I taught at Sunday School still growing more like Christ. [mind you that’s more the work of the Spirit].

What is your most treasured possession?
I have boxes of letters, and even emails that were sent to me, photos. I also have a small book on the Love of Christ that was my Grandfather’s, and was given to me after he returned Home.


What is your most marked characteristic?
Optimism, patience, empathy.

Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
Jean Valjean, from Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables. Jed Bartlett, from The West Wing.  Sam or Faramir, from Tolkein's Lord of the Rings.
 
Who are your heroes in real life?
My family, my parents, brother, and sister, and my church family. They all have taught me, and helped me grow, they have shown me integrity, being real.
 
The quality you most like in a man?
gentleness, a servant-heart.

The quality you most like in a woman?
integrity, contentedness

Favourite colour?
Blue, Red

Flower?
Rose.  Lupins..

Bird?
The Kea or Kiwi, both those birds remind me of New Zealand.

Occupation?
How I use my time, I love to read write, talk with others, see my horizons and thoughts be challenged, listen to music, share my music with others, also love to be honouring God with all he has given me. In terms of career, I’d love to be a pastor, or doing anything in which the end result was seeing people growing more like Christ.

Writers?
CS Lewis, Ravi Zacharias, JRR Tolkein, Hugh Mackay, JI Packer, Orson Scott Card. Writers I'd like to read more of include Schaeffer, Bonhoeffer

Composers?
Holst, Vivaldi, Shore.

Poets?
W.B. Yeats, E. Dickinson, R. Frost, [Bono, David]

To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
Optimism, from time to time I have an naïve optimism, self-deprecation, spontaneity.

How would you like to die?
Content, knowing that in God’s mercy, and strength someone has seen God in and through my life.

What is your motto?
I like this verse from Ecc 9:10.
“What ever your hand finds to do, do it with all of your might.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment