Wednesday, June 15, 2005

On Marriage ...

Okay, I’ve been reading my brothers blog, and wanted to repost my comments here.

Firstly, I do have to say that I’m not sure that I agree with a number of posters about marriage. (I’ve posted this, which talks about how I see marriage). I also would say here, that the way marriage is enacted in the world does not devalue it. Throughout the Old Testament the Covenant, (read promise) between God and Mankind is illustrated with marriage (read, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, to name a few). Put simply, celebrity x, marrying celebrating y (for a period of z hours) does not devalue the promise on another’s wedding day. Yes, I would love to see my “partner” be “a princess for a day”, (like she isn’t a princess already). But that’s not what marriage is about. That’s the wedding, by way of an analogy, the tip of the iceberg. Yes it is a promise we would be making to each other, witnessed by God, friends and families, but it’s a promise for the future, it is a promise that describes what we feel, but at the same time talks of the commitment we would share through the circumstances of life, for better, worse, sickness, health, poverty and riches. Why wouldn’t you want to make this public?

Like a number of those who have posted I would not live with my partner before marriage, this is a personal decision. I have not found an explicit bible verse that could be used to condemn people living together before they are married. (Mind you, I don’t believe we should condemn those who do. Though I would discourage them from it, for what I can only label personal reasons). To be honest, I am not sure of the arguments relating to “leading others into temptation” actually works. But I will need to think about it.

[Corrected Link]

No comments:

Post a Comment