Saturday, July 02, 2005

Turn over the page..

Before I left for NZ I bought Michka Assayas work Bono on Bono. This is the type of book I love. It is essentially a series of interviews of Bono conducted by Michka. In my words, it is the dinner conversation that I always wanted to have with Bono. Bono speaks of his childhood, his family, the band and their music, but more significantly to me he speaks of Africa, the Drop the Debt campaign, Live Aid, Ireland and his views on Christianity. I will post a few excerpts as I read through this book. Seriously, forget U2’s music, Bono is worth listening to, as he speaks about Africa. He’s not partisan; he is passionate, and promoting an issue that has hardly had a drop of ink spilt in anger. Can Bono save the world, no. Will we "make poverty history", no. Should we try? Because we can, we must.

A quote from the Chapter ‘Add eternity to that’:
I look around at the twentieth century; it’s not a great advertisement for unbelief. Where did communism bring Russia? Look what more openness is bringing China. I will say this for the Judeo-Christian tradition: we have at least written into the DNA the idea that God created man equal, and love is at the heart of the universe. I mean its slow. The Greeks may have come up with democracy, but they had no intention of everyone having it. We have to conclude that the most access to equality in the world has come out of ancient religious ideas.
[page 209]

No comments:

Post a Comment