Saturday, August 05, 2006

y-pod

I have had this thought to post for some time. A while ago Richard Glover wrote a really interesting article speaking of the proliferation of the ipods. Here are a few select quotes:

Why are we so afraid of a few moments in which our minds can float, and thoughts can bubble up? And what are people going to watch on all these multiplying screens anyway?


Why this reluctance to do one thing at a time? It's as if we are trying to distract ourselves from some terrible realisation. As if we are trying to stave off some monster that lurks just out of view.


And new cars now come with them fitted in the back seat in order to anaesthetise the children during journeys. This had been one of the few remaining periods in which children and parents talked and interrelated - sometimes even played games and sang - so you can see why a screen had to be rushed into service to stop all of that.
Do we undervalue stillness and silence? I might be wrong, but I recollect car trips in New Zealand, and how we talked or sang as we went on long drives, and time like this is great to strengthen familial relationships.

That said, is is great having a soundtrack that you can listen to a you travel, In fact I quite often listen to music as I walk to work, or Fi and I travel to Canberra, but its great to take out those ear-phones from time to time. (If you want to see the full article let me know, and I'll try and find it).

No comments:

Post a Comment