Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Another week gone…

* Updated to include link to article on Sydney Anglicans website.

Busy, but lovely weekend – Friday night Fi and I went to King Street, and found a fantastic Vietnamese Resturant, then Saturday, I found a suit, went to the airport and said farewell to Fi’s parents (they are off to Malaysia for a holiday) and had dinner with my parents (celebrating Mum's Birthday and Father's Day), on Sunday, I got my wedding ring. :-)

Last night, I went to the CASE Seminar - Religion, terror; film: reflections on 9/11. It was a fascinating look at the place and role images have taken. Greg Clarke began by looking at the place of images in Christian thought. One of the things I was thinking about, was when Greg asked us what came to mind when he said ‘justice’ all the responses where pictures. I got thinking as Jesus often taught with images, parables. (my mind was drawn to a number of images and the "I am statements" from John’s Gospel (I am the Bread of Life, I am the Light of the World, I am the Good Shepard). Perhaps we do think in pictures?

Justine then gave a fascinating overview of how 9-11 has been seen in popular culture, and spoke particularly about United 93, World Trade Centre, The Falling Man, and the fictional War of the Worlds. Lara has posted her comments here.

Staying on 9-11 for another moment; in terms of cultural responses, I really liked the West Wing episode Isaac and Ishmael (Season 3), and how it attempted to deal with the questions and issues.

Though, I think its the French film 11-09-01 which reasonated the most with me. The film give 11 directors (from 11 nations), 11 minutes and 9 seconds and 1 frame to respond. The highlights for me were the films from France, India, US, UK

UK – centres around a Chilean man based in London penning an open letter (and parts are sung) of ‘solidarity and sympathy’ with Americans in the wake of 11-9. Telling them that September 11 is a date that they both share, as 11-9-02, would be the 30th Anniversary since the overthrow of Allende’s Government in Chile – 11-9-72, and the first since the US’s bloody Tuesday.

France – a relationship breakdown plays out in New York, with the collapse of the towers in the background. The women in the scenes is deaf, so while the TV news show footage of the planes, the women is writing a letter about how she is going to leave her partner, before he leaves here, and in the climax of the scene her partner [who acts as a tour guide for the deaf, and was working near the twin towers] comes in, covered with the dust of the towers.

US – a man, talking with his deceased wife, shows the simple things of life, then at the climax of the piece we the light comes through the window, and the flowers on the mantelpiece are seen to come alive, (at the moment, I assume the tower falls), but he also remembers or realises that his wife is dead

India – The films is centered the true story of a Middle Eastern man, living in New York, and is family. Through the course of the short film the man moves from terrorists to hero. The film highlights the fears that those of Arab descent would be living with in the time immediately after 11-9. By virtue of his appearance neighbours move from feeling sympathetic to suspicious to scared, but in the film the man runs to the scene, to help survivors. And it is with this the film concludes, beautifully spoken in a eulogy. It also highlights a negative aspect of the US.

Of the others, not many of them really stood out to this degree, as I can’t really remember the details as vividly as for the four I’ve mentioned above.

And the final of the eleven pieces is one which I found hard to watch, but it seems to be making the point that War is perhaps to man, what killing is to the snake, it is natural, and instinctive, or in another way – war will always be with us. The film showed us a man who essentially thought he was a snake. I found the film quite difficult to engage with. I really like the idea of the project, its interesting seeing how people respond to the film within the context of their cultures, and it is kind of interesting watching the different ideas used in the creation of these short films.

No comments:

Post a Comment