Saturday, June 04, 2011

Home (Elizabeth Marvelly)

Currently, I'm addicted to the aptly named Home (the new CD by Kiwi artist Elzabeth Marvelly). To be fair that is really what drew me to her album - a glimpse over the track-listing and you see classic songs, classical NZ songs and traditional maori songs (and quite a good mix). As I listened to the album my memories of NZ were rekindled - especially in hearing How Great Thou Art (Whakaaria Mai) and Amazing Grace (Te Atua) (with parts sung in both Maori and English).

A number of other tracks stood out Home (one of her own songs), the Dave Dobbyn song Welcome Home, a beautiful arrangement of Don't Dream its Over (Crowded House), the The Prayer (sung with Paul Potts) and I Vow the Thee My Country. Also included on the album is a wonderful version of "Over the Rainbow / I'm Always Chasing Rainbows", and two traditional (and very catchy) Maori songs E Papa and Tarakihi.

The album reflects on her love of NZ, and provided a tangible reminder of New Zealand to me bringing back to my mind, my experiences in growing up there. Not sure when this will be released in Oz (but if you want, you can buy it from Marbecks - a kiwi music store).

No comments:

Post a Comment