Monday, January 12, 2015

Covers - Christa Wells [EP] - Review

I was pretty excited when Christa Wells posted that she was preparing an EP of cover songs from the 1980s & 1990s. The 80s & 90s was when I really got into music, and the bands I discovered during those years became the soundtrack to my life.
What I was looking forward to in Christa's project was being reintroduced to some of my own 'friends', and being introduced to some of the 'friends' she has shared her journey with.
The cover art for the EP beautifully echoes this point. The cover created the impression of Christa taking you for a walk through her memories and pointing out a few key ones in the gallery. Christa was sharing the sooundtrack to parts of her life, so openly and honestly. 

The five songs on the EP are - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me (The Smiths), Come as You Are (Nirvana), One (U2), Waiting for the Night (Depeche Mode), Tonight, Tonight (The Smashing Pumpkins). Prior to hearing the EP, I hadn't much from The Smiths or Depeche Mode before. I'll be checking more of their music out.

My highlight is the recording of 'One'. Just love the harmony between Christa and Kaleb Jones. As you will know from reading this blog I am a big U2 fan, and this certainly has to be one of the best U2 covers I've heard. Waiting for the Night, will become one of my new favourite songs.

I recommend taking the time to listen to the EP, through headphones, in the dark.




No comments:

Post a Comment