Monday, June 18, 2018

Sporting shorts - No 15

The World Cup has started, and it’s been great so far. Before we get to that, we’ll got through the other sports.

NRL

  • I’m not meaning the be negative, but they have to be concerned about the crowds at the games. I’m old fashioned I’m sure, but I’d love to see more games at suburban grounds and less at ANZ Stadium. 
  • I like the idea of the Magic round, with all 16 teams playing in Brisbane. I’d also love a country round where every game was played in a regional centre, like Tamworth. 
  • While there is about nine rounds to go, part of me thinks the top eight is set. The order may change, but I don’t see anyone sneaking into the eight from here. 
  • The Warriors continue to what they didn’t do last year, and win the games against teams below them. I’m not yet convinced they are a genuine threat for the title. I  believe one of Souths, St George or Penrith will win. 
AFL
  • The top eighth is less settled in the AFL, though the top three West Coast, Richmond and Sydney have a two game break on the fourth place team. Though West Coast also has a game in hand. 
  • Sydney has a bye this week before a really mouthwatering class against Richmond. 
  • An unbelievable win for St Kilda this weekend, overrunning Gold Coast with a five goal last quarter. 
Rugby
  • England lose their fifth test in a row. Ireland have a great win against Australia to tie the series. 
  • On the All Blacks, was a pretty ordinary performance on Saturday. They did just enough to win, and the game was changed as a contest with the send off. Interesting that the card was overturned at the disciplinary tribunal. 
World Cup 
  • For the first time in history all of Germany, Brazil and Argentina failed to win their opening game. Germany are the third defending champion in a row to lose their opening game. And it’s only the second time Germany have failed to win their opening game. 
  • So impressed by Iceland. A bunch of amateurs mixing with professionals. Just goes to show that anything is possible. 
  • Looking forward to seeing Belgium and England open their campaigns. 
  • I didn’t see the Australia v France game so I’m not going to talk about the game. I will say that I’m not a fan of the term honorable loss. The Australian team are building themselves as contenders and the result against France should motivate them to get more out of the games against Denmark and Peru. 
  • Will say there hasn’t been a standout performance yet. Not sure who to label as favourites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment