Friday, July 14, 2017

A little update..

If you have been following my blog, you'd know that we were in Wellington for the rugby. We also had a great chance to see the city.  One of the must-see attractions in Wellington is the Te Papa Museum, and one of the main exhibits they have on at the moment focuses on Gallipoli. The exhibit tells the story of the Gallipoli campaign in World War I through the eyes and words of eight ordinary New Zealanders who found themselves in extraordinary circumstances. The exhibit has eight large figures (made by Weta Workshops, who worked on the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings). You couldn't help but be moved by each story.

It was quite eye-opening to hear the story of Gallipoli from the New Zealand perspective (the campaigns they were involved in).

On our final day in Wellington we went up the cable car and visited the Cable car museum. It was interesting to see the history of the cable car, but also fascinating to watch a video about the houses in Wellington which had installed cable cars for access.

It was just lovely being in the city with thousands of Lions fans. Our plane from Sydney was filled with them. It just created such an awesome atmosphere in the city (and at the rugby). It was interesting how drowned out the All Blacks chants were at the ground, it almost felt like a home game for the Lions.

Wellington is such a beautiful city, in lot of ways its coffee culture reminds me of Melbourne.

After Wellington it was back to reality pretty quickly. Last Tuesday morning I started radiotherapy so I now have had nine sessions, almost half way through. I'll have twenty in total, then a short break before restarting Chemo.

I find radiotherapy very different to chemotherapy, during my chemo sessions I sat in a chair for four hours while the drugs were pumped into my veins. For radiotherapy I lie on a bed and the machine moves around me three times in ten minutes, and I'm done.  While I'm doing radiotherapy, I'm also having oral chemotherapy.

So far I haven't t felt too bad, the worst side effects are psychological. I'm finding that I'm far more irritable and moody than before, and I need to get better at knowing how I'm feeling and communicating it, I also need to get better at managing my mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment