Friday, July 14, 2017

What I'm in to - June

Reading:
Another quiet month for reading this time, I've managed two books. I finished Susan Carland's 'Fighting Hislam' and 'Radical Remission' by Kelly Turner.

Susan Carland's book was a really eye opening read, talking about woman seeking to change Islam from within.

'Radical Remission' is about people who have survived cancer against the odds. The book explores nine key factors shared by these individuals (often they stop using conventional treatments, like surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy).

The nine factors mentioned in the book are: Radically changing your diet; taking control of your health; following your intuition; using herbs and supplements; releasing suppressed emotions; increasing positive emotions; embracing social support; deepening your spiritual connection; and having strong reasons for living.

It was a helpful read, I'm certainly not thinking about stopping the treatments I'm doing at the moment, but some of the factors are worthwhile thinking more about, and trying to apply them.

Watching
The highlight of my TV viewing  during June was The Voice. Even if none of the contestants really jumped out  at me this year, it was still enjoyable to watch. I really like Delta as a coach so it was great that Judah won. The dynamic between Kelly and Delta was great.

I've been enjoying watching Masterchef too.  I enjoyed the episodes filmed in Japan; probably because I love Japanese food.  The really frustrating thing about cooking shows is that you never get to taste the food which has been made.

Listening
I spent a lot of June listening to Radiohead's OK Computer, R.E.M's Automatic for the People and Coldplay's  A Head Full of Dreams. I'm looking forward to the new album from Nichole Nordeman. It was a very nice surprise when I found out she had a new album coming out.  She's one of my favourite singer-songwriters. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to hearing the album is how she describes it:
These songs have given me permission, and I hope you too, to silence the voices of regret. To recognize that every part your journey, every broken place, have all been part of the story God is writing in your life. Lessons we had to learn. Tears that had to fall. Chapters that had to be written and then closed, to find ourselves in a bigger, more beautiful story.
It all mattered. Every single mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment