Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Social Involvement ..

I am reading John Stott's Issues Facing Christians Today, as I thnk about Christian's response to the government, and more generally how we live in this world. The following words were written by a homeless women, after the country vicar she turned to for help, went to the chapel to pray for her. Food for thought.

I was hungry
... and you formed a humanities group to discuss my hunger.
I was imprisoned,
... and you crept of quietly to your chapel and prayed for my
release.
I was naked,
... and in your mind you debated the morality of my appearance.
I was sick,
... and you knelt and thanked God for your health.
I was homeless,
... and you preached to me of the spiritual shelter of the love of God
I was lonely
... and you left me alone to pray for me.
You seem so holy, so close to God
... but I am still very hungry - and lonely - and cold.

+++

Too much of our world is hungry, lonely and cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment