Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Some Reflections on the Psalms

I’ve been reading the Psalms over the last little while, and wanted to spend some time reflecting on the Psalms.

I’ve previously posted asking a question about Psalm 109, and how we should read it. After talking to my flatmates and reading a little bit more I realise that the Psalms are not sermons, they are not major theological discourses. Instead we learn a lot about the experience of God’s people from the Psalms, we learn a lot of about God, and we learn about the Psalmists, and Israel's relationship with God. The Psalms were poems, and were meant to be sung. (See C.S. Lewis – Reflections on the Psalms).

As a quick aside, how often do our churches read a Psalm together as part of their service? I think that we do lose a lot when we stop reading and reflecting on the Psalms in our Sunday gatherings). Just a thought.

I like this quote about the Psalms, (from the New Bible Dictionary, p981)

“Here (in the Psalms) are mirrored the ideals of religious piety and communion with God, of sorrow for sin, and the search for perfection, of walking in darkness, unafraid, by the lamp of faith, obedient to the law of God, delight in the worship of God, fellowship with the friends of God, reverence for the Word of God; humility under the chasetening rod, trust when evil triumph and wickedness prospers, serenity in the midst of the storm."

The Psalms is often my answer when people ask me what my favourite book of the bible is. Why do I like the Psalms? I think it is largely because it is a book which details how people experience their relationship with God. And it is not always “happy-clappy”. As life moves from joy to sadness and back to joy, so the Psalmist moves from praise through doubt to joy, with faith and trust in God always on view.

Each time I read it, there’s always a new Psalm or verse that strikes a chord with me. This time was no different. Not completely sure about this, so feel free to comment. There is a sense if we take the Psalms as an entity or take many Psalms in isolation; we see the Psalmist, move from orientation with God, through disorientation, and back to orientation.

Then there’s always verses that stick out. We used this one last year in our mission program with the theme “Road”:

Psalm 16:11 (ESV)
You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Some of the images are awesome too, the attitude of the Psalmist to the Law in Psalm 119; (the Psalmist clings to the law, and mourns that it is not kept); the magery of the Psalmist “thirsting for God”, an image picked up by Jesus in John 4?

Anyway, just some of my random thoughts as I finish reading the book of the Psalms, and let me commend it to you.

Ps 116:12-14; Psalm 115:1

No comments:

Post a Comment