Wednesday, October 13, 2004

>>> Dismantling the Election, part 2.

Seeing as I posted an entry speaking on voting, I thought I’d stay on the political theme for another moment or two.

So, John Howard has won a fourth term. Regardless of what I feel of his policies that is a remarkable achievement. I acknowledge that the Australian people voted him in, and have clearly stated their support for him. This however does not remove my feeling that we lost the moment to say what we as a nation value, and who we as a nation are.

Why did Latham lose? Well it’s not simply because of the interest rate scare, although that message did get through.

The result of the election is down to as much Howard’s experience, as Latham’s inexperience. Beazley suggested on ABC’s coverage that the result was not as bad as it could have been, and that’s probably true. An election late last year, may well have given the Coalition a greater majority than ’96.

I wonder about a few things in relation to Latham’s campaign. Firstly – I don’t agree that his campaign was totally positive, although I do think that his advertising emphasised policy areas of concern while the Government emphasised the character of Latham. I don’t think that he sold his policies well. I think that he was out-foxed with respect to the Forest Policy. And perhaps the preference deal with the Greens did more harm than good; as Ben mentioned while the ALP aligns itself with the Greens it potentially alienates a large number of its traditional supporters.

I think it is under pretty exceptional circumstances that citizens elect to change government; generally under good economic conditions an Opposition is up against it. Personally, I’ve realised through working in a political environment the majority are silent, until polling day. But its wrong to suggest that all of those who voted the Coalition in agree with the war, or agree with their refugee policy, rather these are not seen as reasons to vote out Howard’s Government.

Moving on, it will be worth watching the mark Family First leave on the Australian Political landscape. Are they likely to be a balancing act to the government, and hold the government accountable? Today's Australian runs a piece on the party. And there's also another Opinion piece talking about Christianity as the new political force.

Though two articles from Monday caught my attention – Hugh Mackay wrote a piece talking arguing that it wasn't about the campaign. Another piece by Clive Hamilton who wrote "the Coalition victory reflects the unhealthy preoccupation with self that characterises modern Australia".

Before I leave the sphere of politics, my commitment now is to remain engaged – congratulate this government when it is 'right', and to continue to register disapproval when appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment