Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Cultural Psychology

Found this interesting piece that builds off the article I referenced on Saturday. It talks about the movies as the dreams of society, and Psychiatrists have been “reading” modern films such as Mystic River, The Life and Times of Peter Sellars, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars.

I thought the reading of Mystic River was interesting. I saw the film earlier in the year, it was quite a disturbing film, and echoing in part the article I thought it detailed the responses of four characters to trauma, and the cycle of trauma. And that is the beauty of the median, you can speak to your audience on many levels, be it that people can enjoy the film, as entertainment, or read it as a text reflecting on the society which created it.

But to a degree as well each of these psychologists in the article are coming to the film with a particular mindset and are likely to read into the film their schemas for seeing the world. It perhaps is also worth noting that film, like music, because of the range or emotional experiences they deal with, are of benefit to therapists and practitioners – though I do wonder how the professionals view the way they are shown in the films.

In spite of perhaps these adventurous readings of some films, I found the article make some interesting points about film, and its role in society, perhaps as an expression of the dreams of society. I would say they definitely reveal points about the society in which we left, but how much exactly I’m not really sure of. I found the point about Germany seeking to deal with its past through the arts quite interesting.

As Kathleen commented, is the absent father in more prevalent in films now than it was previously? I don’t think I remember many films dealing with this topic – which I why I think I was struck by Finding Nemo. However after thinking about this – over the past little while films that I remember dealing with Fathers – Father’s Day / Liar Liar / Sleepless in Seattle and further back Kramer vs Kramer. But do any of these really centre on fatherhood? Of these I think the one that speaks mostly about fatherhood is Finding Nemo. (Are there are other recent films in which the leading character is told what it means to be a father?)

Anyway, sounds like worthwhile stream at the conference. Would have been worth hearing a little bit more about what they said.

+++

Frustrating watching my Swans play on the weekend. Not only did they get thumped on the scoreboard, but they go a mouthful during the call and in the press. I’m desperately hoping that they would win over the weekend – its Carlton, in Melbourne, but given the way Sydney has been playing a win is no guarantee.

Here’s wishing my dear brother and sister in Christ; Guan and M, a fantastic relaxing and God-filled time away in the US. I'm looking forward to catching up with Guan for lunch tomorrow, and hearing all about his trip when he returns.

Another unrelated point, I emailed the four members about the immigration bill, all of whom responded. Found out via the news today that the issue was debated today, and they resolved to debate it again in the next few weeks, while not the resolution I was hoping for, it is a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment