Wednesday, May 18, 2005

It's been a while ...

Star Wars – Revenge of the Sith

It’s now very close; the last of the Star Wars movies is out tonight, or tomorrow morning, following our bible studies wandering the wilderness of Exodus we will (minus a few members) head to the Ritz to be among the first to see Revenge of the Sith. I recalled there were murmurings of an outcry that the new Star Wars film will get a M15+ rating (For the record it got a M13+ in the US), leading some to complain, that "my kids love these films, why are you making one they can’t see". I’ll hold my verdict, suffice to say, that I commend Lucas of holding to the spirit of the film, or as he is quoted as saying:
I have to tell a story. I'm not making these, oddly enough, to be giant, successful blockbusters. I'm making them because I'm telling a story, and I have to tell the story I intended.

In terms of the film I’m apprehensively nervous, as the arc of the story is one that holds immense appeal for me, and runs counter to the plot-lines of most films. And for this reason the film is needs to be dark; darker than the Empire Strikes Back (which is the best of the franchise).

Anyway, this film could be a work of art, or sadly like TPM or AOTC, it could be terrible (in dialogue and action), In spite of the nervous apprehension I am viewing the film with, it will be a great night, largely due to the athmosphere. (The only film that could rival Star Wars for audience interaction, in a cinema was the Lord of The Rings trilogy, especially Fellowship of the Ring, and Return of the King – but even then, no-one dressed up for them).

Anyway, expect a review later this month.

A few other updates about what has been happening follow:

Last week we had a bible study dinner and in honour of our bible studies link missionaries we ate Slovenian cuisine. (Courtesy of this website)

It's also coming up to ten days that my parents have been away. They are heading away to see parts of Itay, the UK, and spend quality time with their daughter (and my sister) And, it does seem strange to say, but the next time I see my parents, we'll be in New Zealand (celebrating my Gran's 90th Birthday with family).

Its been a while since I've mentioned my beloved Swans whose last two starts amounted to two wins. :) (It would help if they kicked straighter - less nailbiting action ;) This week puts them in a peculiar away game at home against the Western Bulldogs, and their former mentor, coach Rodney Eade, so it should be quite an interesting game.

Haoran's post on storytelling reminded me of a few clippings I've cut, talking about storytelling, and Star Wars, I'll try and post some excerpts in the next little while.

I want to add that Karen's post about a writers retreat sounds like a great idea. :)

Last weekend I spent at my new churches House Party. It was great to get away (in spite of initial reluctance), and spend a weekend getting to know my brothers and sisters at my new church better.

No comments:

Post a Comment