Saturday, April 15, 2006

...Beautiful dawn - I'm just chasing time again...

Two days, two completely different shows. On Wednesday I went to see Sigur Ros, and then Thursday night I saw James Blunt.

I really enjoyed James Blunt's concert. He played all of the songs from his Back to Bedlam CD (which a workmate introduced me to about a year ago), and a few new songs, which were a little more upbeat lyrically than Back to Bedlam (which is quite melancholy). He was quite charming on stage, interacting and joking with the crowd.

The songs were given the chance to speak for themselves rather than being hidden in an elaborate stage or setting. The highlight of the show was No Bravery, which was sung in front of a screen showing images of the war torn Kosovo, which really added to the impact of the song. The crowd seemed to be in a respectful silence as the images and words of the song washed over us.

Wednesday night I saw Sigur Ros, one of my favourite bands, supported by Amiina, at the Enmore theatre. Sigur Ros are a really captivating band to listen to; their sound is so rich and unique, and Wednesday night was no exception.

It was hard to pick out highlights; I really liked the last song Popplagið and Glósóli and Hoppípolla from Takk were also great.

Unlike James Blunt, Sigur Ros did not get really chatty they let the music speak for them. I would be quite happy to go and see them again. Though it was a great gig, it didn’t quite get up to heights of their London show late last year, but having a horn section on stage playing with them is hard to bet.

All in all two great, but very different concerts.

No comments:

Post a Comment