Saturday, September 01, 2007

Music..

So, given that we're almost three quarters the way through the year, I thought I'd post on some of the standout CDs for the year. I've included some of the CDs I bought in December last year.

1) Miriam Clancy - Lucky One

I owe this CD to reading a review in the local newspaper (Twizel, NZ). Given we were doing a bit of driving, and it got quite a favourable review we decided to buy it, and we were not disappointed.

Fun label: folk-rock (indie)
Favourite Tracks: And so it begins, Dry your eyes.

(2) Brooke Fraser - Albertine

Another one we bought in NZ, and it keeps the New Zealand singer-songwriter theme going. I think this is a much stronger CD than What to Do With Daylight, in terms of the songwriting.

Fun label: folk
Favourite tracks: Albertine, CS Lewis Song, Hosea's Wife, Shadowfeet.

(3) Bright Eyes - Cassadaga

Moving away from female singer-songwriters now. I first came into contact with Bright Eyes when they supported REM (2005). I think I bought I'm Awake before the concert, and was very impressed with both the studio and live performances. Cassadaga, to me, is not as even as I'm Wide Awake, but it has been growing on me.

Fun label: Indie-folk.
Favourite tracks: Lime Tree (one of the saddest songs I've heard), No one would riot for less, and Make a Plan to Love Me.

(4) The Frames - The Cost

I think this came out late 2006. (and may even have made my 2006 list). There is something really special about this Irish band. They have been rated as Ireland best live act (which considering their opposition is no mean feat). Their songs are beautifully crafted, and often go from a quiet start to an intense ending.

Fun label: alternative
Favourite Tracks: Song for Someone, People Get Ready and Bad Bone.

(5) Powderfinger - Dream Days at the Hotel Existence

Great title~! Rapidly growing into one of the better Australian Groups. I really like the sound of the album, and I like it a bit more than their earlier material. Its quite a consistent record. I am really looking forward to hearing the songs live.

Fun label: rock..
Favourite tracks: Drifting Further Away, Wishing on the same moon, Black Tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment