Saturday, September 22, 2007

(Short) September ... 07

The Swan’s had quite a short September this year; and their season ended while I was enjoying Silverchair a few weekends ago. Perhaps my love of AFL might be a touch strange seeing as I am from a rugby union country (NZ), moved to a rugby league town (Wollongong). But when it comes to sport, my favourite football codes are Rugby Union, AFL, and Football; but I'm not nearly as interested in the NRL.

+++

I don’t think I really need to say much about Rubgy; I grew up in New Zealand. I remember in 1987 staying at school to watch the All Blacks play Italy in the first world cup. Though I’m not always appreciative of the way its often played (kicking duels), but seeing two teams attack, and counter attack with the ball passing through hands is quite awesome. The games that stand out were NZ’s loss to France in the 1999 World Cup; were France were not intimidated, and the surged over the top of NZ (31-40); and the first Bledisloe Cup test of 2000 at the new Olympic Stadium, NZ led 24-0 before the crowd had settled into their seats; led by 2 at half-time; trailed by 2 during time on, and won as Lomu scored with only tick left on the clock.

+++

I had never really been exposed to Australian Rules until our family moved to Australia. I gradually saw little bits and pieces, and I think it was one Sunday afternoon in 1995, when Sydney were playing Brisbane; and lost convincingly (about 200pts); I decided that it couldn’t get much worse so I declared allegiance then; they won the next game, and made the Grand Final the following year.

In general, I’m not sure that TV does Aussie Rules any great favors as the camera follows the ball. I’m still trying to get to a game in Melbourne where the atmosphere is something special. But again, I think the appeal of the game is largely dependent on who you see play, as I said, the Swans haven’t really had a good year (with injuries, and poor form).

This season, Geelong have been quite impressive to watch, the intensity with which they tackle; and the speed and incision with which they attack is quite impressive, its great to see them in the Grand Final; were they will play Port Adelaide. The Grand Final should be quite a good game.

Aside from the epic finals games between Sydney and West Coast (four games decided by under 6 points), the game that stands out to me is the Qualification Final between Sydney and Geelong (2005), Sydney looked gone at quarter time, and trailed by about 21 ponts, enter Nick Davis, who kicked four goals in the final quarter including the final one, in the dying seconds; it was very cruel on the Cats, but elation for Sydney.

+++

It was the Champions League final of 1999 which cemented my love of Football (truly the World Game). Bayern Munich were playing Manchester United in the final; Bayern scored early in the first half, and the score stayed at 1-0 until about the 90th minute, were dramatically United equalized; a minute later, United had a corner and
Solskjaer turned the ball into the net, and Manchester were Champions of Europe. (the presentation of the trophy was delayed as the ribbons on the trophy needed to be changed~!)

By the way, none of the above means I support Manchester; in fact, I actually support Arsenal – mainly because of the free-flowing attacking football (which they play under Arsène Wengner) They’ve started quite well this year, given that Thierry Henry moved to Barcelona (another attractive team to watch).

While on the football; hats of to the Matilda’s who drew with Canada 2-2 this week, to make the quarterfinals of the World Cup (they play Brazil).

+++

But briefly on the NRL, I think Melbourne and Manly will win two quite tough finals. I cheer quietly for Canberra (who while favourites for the wooden spoon for the past three years; have not won it~!!)

+++

No comments:

Post a Comment