Monday, April 28, 2008

ANZAC Day

A few more links on ANZAC Day. 
:: The SMH Editorial: on Australia's military heritage; its meaning and how best to remember it, sentiments echoed in the editorial from The Age.
:: The Prime Minister’s ANZAC Day address (also one of my shared items).
:: This piece, which argues that ANZAC day sends the wrong message in glorifying war. A piece that is worth a read, even though I am not sure I agree entirely with its sentiments, I didn’t see this, when I read the Prime Minister’s address, or when I watched the service from ANZAC Cove. What resonates to me the cost of war, and its impact, but with that I also recalled Bob Hawke saying that sometimes tragically we need to fight for peace; perhaps echoed in Rudd’s speech ‘that freedom is almost always bought by sacrifice’.
:: Online Opinion also has an interesting piece about ANZAC Day as a ‘faith event’.
~~ ~~ ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment