Monday, March 16, 2009

On the Horizon

Given that I've had U2's new CD playing for a while my impressions have settled and I thought I'd post my thoughts. I have to admit, that after hearing the lead off single, I was not so optimistic or enthusiastic about the album. I shared these thoughts with the sales assistant, who slightly improved my mood by saying it wasn't all that bad, and sometimes people want to tear down bands like U2.

Onto the album, overall, I think No Line On the Horizon is a reaction away from 'How to Dismantle', and 'All that...' in the same way that All that was a reaction away from Pop. The album is perhaps a little bit more uneven than most, one of the highlights being Bono's character sketches in White as Snow and Cedars of Lebanon, while perhaps equally disappointing was Bono's impersonation of the Office IT guy as he earnestly implores us to "restart and reboot ourselves'

Even after two weeks or so, I have to admit that I don't get "Get On Your Boots" (perhaps Vertigo II), perhaps a fun, joyous piece, but its filler on the album. The tracks that stood out on my first listen are Crazy Tonight (the worst bit of the song is the title), White as Snow, Cedars of Lebanon. In spite of its lyrics I do have a soft spot of for Unknown Caller (reminiscent of Walk On). I do look forward to hearing the translation of some of these songs as they begin their tour in June.

All in all, I would say its growing on me but not their best. For me, Pop, Achtung Baby and The Unforgettable Fire have held that title. 
~~~

I really found this post interesting, made up of lyrics from the album, in the order they appear. [h/t U2 Sermons]. Also from U2 sermons, was this post about contradictory comments about the album (and No-Line does seem to have created more diverse responses than other U2 albums).

No comments:

Post a Comment