Sunday, April 25, 2010

Little bit more on music ...

Recently via NPR, I've listened to concerts by Jenny Lewis, Joanna Newsom, Josh Ritter, Rachael Yamagata, The Arcade Fire and Neko Case; and Jonsi's new album (the lead singer from Sigur Ros). I'm looking forward to hearing Josh Ritter's new album (from Tuesday).

The Jonsi album which is a number of great and catchy pop tunes. One of the highlights of the Jenny Lewis concert (thanks Deb, who recommended her to me ages ago), was her version of Handle with Care (a Travelling Wilbury's cover). Rachel Yamagata on was great, her latest album has two discs, the first is mellow and acoustic, which highlighted her voice (which reminded me of Jennifer Knapp - who as an aside has a new album due out in May), the second disc is a little bit more edgy. I enjoyed listening to these concerts and the new albums. NPR will be great to keep a watch on especially given some of the names on the Metacritic site (though I'm not holding my breath for the albums on the list to come out (or be on NPR if they do)

Along with NPR, I've also enjoyed keeping an eye on daytrotter - which has also opened my ears to a few other bands -- I really loved the Session's of Noah and the Whale, J.Tilman, Josh Ritter, and Lisa Hannigan (who toured with Damien Rice).

I am enjoying the new albums from Laura Marling and Broken Bells. Broken Bells is the singer from the indie band The Shnis and Danger Mouse, it has a great-catchy sound. Laura Marling is more folky which
really appeals to me (as you can see from the bands I've recently started listening too.

No comments:

Post a Comment