Wednesday, January 05, 2011

A New Year

I hope you all had a great Christmas, and all the best for 2011. To begin here's an article about new year's resolutions (or aspirations). In terms of my aspirations for 2011, I have being reading a lot more
over the last 12 months, thanks mainly to a great local library, a generous family, and would like to keep this up.

Over Christmas, I read Wayne Bennett's autobiography, Man in the Mirror, Helen Fielding's book Cause Celeb (a great parody of celebrities being involved in social justice campaigns), Alberto Barrera Tyszka's novel The Sickness, on how two men dealt with their illnesses.

I 'm also intending to read the books I was given for my birthday and Christmas last year -- two of Hugh Mackay's books: What Makes Us Tick, and Advance Australia ... Where?, George Negus's book, The
World From Down Under
, Andrew Leigh's book Disconnected and Kevin Leman's book Have a new you by Friday (I've have found a few of his other books helpful), and a one more from my last visit to the library, Reading the play: on life and leadership by one of the great AFL players James Hird.

++

I enjoyed the The Late Session (the new show hosted by Waleed Aly) last night on SBS. A fascinating discussion around storytelling.  It looks like the series will be fascinating with great topics and
interesting guests. Though to think the five who I'd invite an imaginary dinner party, though I'd also pick Waleed to facilitate the conversation.

Here's another article, about a philosophy book which talks highlights the impact of communal experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment