Monday, June 07, 2004

A weekend of sport

My bible study group headed out to the AFL yesterday. It was a good afternoon. Great to spend an afternooon in the Sun, getting to know each other. The Swans won, 17.10 (112) to St Kilda's 11.10 (76). St Kilda up until yesterday were undefeated. I have to take my hat off to Roos... it wasn't simply that the Swans won, but they outclassed the Saints. Gehrig, the AFL's leading goal kicker, didn't score, and was kept virtually out of the game by Leo Barry. The Swans sparkling run, from the back returned. Kirk, had his best game for the year, Hall, kicked 5 goals. Oh me of little faith!

Then after the game, we went back to our leaders place, had dinner, played take two, then headed off to to church. Heard a good sermon on 2 Tim 2.

My sympathies are with anyone involved in a football tipping competition. Yesterday would have been totally unhelpful. Of the League games on the weekend, I don't recall a favourite winning. And then you have the soccer ... NZ loses to Vanautu, Australia draws with the Solomon Islands. Hardly predictable. Meaning that Australia will play the Solomon Islands, for the right to play the fifth best South Americian team. [For the record, I don't believe Australia deliberately drew with the Solomons to avoid playing NZ. NZ shot themselves in the foot by losing to Vanautu. Oh dear...].

No comments:

Post a Comment