Saturday, February 05, 2005

Wave Aid - The Tsunami Relief Concert (SCG)

Been an exciting week on a few fronts. I’ll leave work alone, because that deserves an entry all of its own. Let’s just say for now work is a source of stress, and guilt from stress. (I will come back to this).

I went out to Wave Aid on Saturday. I saw the list of bands when it came out, and just about had to pick up my jaw from the floor. It had an awesome line-up, almost a once-in-a-generation line-up.

The highlights for me:

The Finn Brothers
Yeah they played their hits, but singing Don’t Dream its Over, It’s Only Natural, and Throw Your Arms Around Me [by Hunters and Collectors], with close to 45 000 other voices was an amazing experience. It was just like, I think it is Joe's phrase, 'the group hug of the night'.

Powderfinger
First time I've heard them live, having just recently got into their music. They were awesome too. Fanning was awesome singing with ‘The Wrights’ too.

Midnight Oil
I only knew the choruses of some songs, but still it was great to see this Aussie icon, and my MP. Its hard to imagine Peter in a suit after seeing him dance (Aside: May just be me, but does his antics on stage remind anyone of Michael Stipe).

The Waifs
Not many of my group seem to rate them, but they were great. Hard to pick the words clearly but am definitely interested in hearing more from them. I think they play the Metro later this month, may be work a look.

But there was not a bad set amongst the bands, it was the most good-natured crowd that I’ve been apart of. For those who read the Herald, they’ll have known that Chuggie got a serve for the manner in which he ‘handled’ the crowd, and I’d sort of agree. It didn’t seem in keeping with the spirit of the night. Another slightly inappropriate part of the night, was the “camera operators” comments on the big screen urging women to flash, and that being followed by people around them trying to raise the girls tops. The camera operator should have stopped at that point.

I have to also say that I barely got burnt, and this is just as well as I have too often come into work sunburnt, which was probably why I was given Sun Screen for Christmas by my boss.

On Music again:
New in my CD player over December, January: Damien Rice, The Frames, Bright Eyes, and Dire Straits. I’ve borrowed CD’s from the Un Brothers, which have broadened my tastes: The Flaming Lips; The Eagles; Joni Mitchell; Sufjan Stevens; and Sunny Day Real Estate.

No comments:

Post a Comment