Sunday, October 28, 2007

Reconnecting...

An interesting article in The Australian's Review over the weekend, focused on the [re]gaining of social capital.

Matchett wrote, social networking sites have taken steps to reconnect us with each other. Sites such as MySpace and Facebook may open up more of the world to individuals, enabling to build a community from their own lounge. Sure, I do wonder about the depth of this community, but I know it runs very deep for some.

I wonder how community and political groups will use these sites, at the moment on Facebook you can join, create, and invite others to join a cause, but where does cyber-activism take us?

I mostly use MySpace to hear new music from bands I know (though sometimes I listen to new music by going to their 'friend's' pages). I use Facebook a little more, as with the plugins there lots of great "procrastinatory" things to do - join tipping competitions, music and film quizzes, and knowledge tests, and with all these you're always intrigued to see who you can 'reconnect' with and the links between your circle of friends.

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment