Saturday, December 22, 2007

Modern Carols

Tonight, I’ve been sitting watching the Carol’s in the Domain, and it got me thinking about the carols we sing. I was reminded of a sermon where one of our pastors read (halfway) through a list of countries which will experience conflict over the Christmas period (Source: International Crisis Watch). Peace on earth certainly doesn’t ring true these days.

Jesus this song you wrote
The words are sticking in my throat

Peace on Earth

Hear it every Christmas time

But hope and history won't rhyme

So what's it worth?

This peace on Earth

Peace on Earth – U2 (All That You Can’t Leave Behind, 2001)


I Heard the Bell’s on Christmas Day was one song that he did like, which quite coincidently a few days earlier I bought Jars of Clay’s CD Christmas Songs, which included it. I am quite struck by the last two verses:

And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong, And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead; nor doth he sleep!

The Wrong shall fail, The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men!"


~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment