Monday, December 17, 2018

2018 in review - a beginning

Given its now the 17th of December, I thought it is about time to start my year in review series.  I'm going to begin with books.


Surprisingly I exceeded my goal for reading this year and read just over 30 books for the year. I’ve read quite a few heavy and challenging books which has made it tough going in places through the year. 

So of the books that I did read the three that stood out to me are Leigh Sales Any Ordinary Day, Clementime Ford’s Boys Will be Boys, and Lizzie Marvelly’s Growing up F in Aotearoa.
As always there were a few that were tough to leave out Kon Karapanagiotidis The Power of Hope, Rob Bower’s Outspoken, and Rachel Held Evans book Inspired.

Each of these books has challenged me in different ways. Leigh Sales book was particularly good given I could relate to closely to the content, as I’m living a similar experience to her interviewees.

Boys will be boys really struck me, and was quite a tough read, especially the letter to her son that concludes the book. Her letter struck me as it contains so much of what I want to tell my son, and how I want him to grow up.

While Lizzie’s book is predominantly about growing up in Aotearoa (New Zealand), sadly it is hard to doubt women growing up in Australia have a different experience.

I share Kon and Rob’s visions for Australia so their books were also challenging reads. I will certainly be trying to reread their book, and want to work at seeing their vision be achieved. Rob’s book was particularly hard hitting, because the church he leads, is the church I want to be part of.

On my reading list – Hard Choices (Hilary Clinton), Pete Sampras’ autobiography, a collection of letters written to former US President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama’s memoir (Becoming).

No comments:

Post a Comment