Monday, December 10, 2018

Bon Jovi review

Bon Jovi were one of the very first shows I went to - memorable for all the wrong reasons - it was a hot humid day which finished with a hailstorm. Bon Jovi cut their set short. The show is in support of the album These Days. (Still actually on of their best albums in my view).

The nerd in me want to record the setlist from that concert too:

Bon Jovi - Eastern Creek Raceway, November 18, 1995

Rockin' All Over the World (John Fogerty cover) / Hey God / Livin' on a Prayer / You Give Love a Bad Name / Keep the Faith / These Days / (It's Hard) Letting You Go / Lie to Me / Someday I'll Be Saturday Night /  Something for the Pain / Because the Night (Patti Smith Group cover) / Damned / If Loving You Is Wrong, I Don't Want To Be Right / Blaze of Glory (Jon Bon Jovi song) / Lay Your Hands on Me / I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (with Papa Was A Rolling Stone… more ) / 
Bad Medicine / With a Little Help From My Friends (The Beatles cover) / Never Say Goodbye / Always (additional lyrics) / Wanted Dead or Alive / Blood on Blood / This Ain't a Love Song

I certainly wouldn't recommend going to Eastern Creek for a concert.  These Days still is up there as one of my favourite Bon Jovi albums. 

I think Bon Jovi may have toured Australia twice since 1995, but this was the first time I managed to go., here's the set-list for the weekend's show via Setlist.fm.

Bon Jovi, Sydney, ANZ Stadium Dec 8, 2018

You Give Love a Bad Name / Raise Your Hands / Lost Highway / Who Says You Can't Go Home / This House Is Not for Sale / Roller Coaster / We Weren't Born to Follow / We Don't Run / It's My Life / God Bless This Mess / Born to Be My Baby / Have a Nice Day / Keep the Faith / Bed of Roses / Lay Your Hands on Me / I'll Sleep When I'm Dead / Captain Crash & the Beauty Queen From Mars / Livin' on a Prayer / 
Encore: Bad Medicine / Wanted Dead or Alive / I'll Be There for You / 
Encore 2: Blood on Blood / Someday I'll Be Saturday Night

They both were wonderful shows. I have to admit it Saturday night had more of a greatest hits tour rather than a tour promoting/supporting their latest album This House is Not For Sale. As an aside I've really enjoyed listening to live recording of This House is Not For Sale.

While I think its fair to say the songs still sound amazing. The noise of the crowd and band during Livin' on a Prayer was amazing Jon Bon Jovi's voice perhaps isn't is good as it once was. Though it might well have been the sound mix (and stadium).

The highlights of the night for me where Livin' on a Prayer, Bed of Roses, I'll Be There For You and Blood on Blood. The band certainly played many of my favourite songs.

Funnily enough the lyrics of Blood on Blood don't sit as well with me now.  The idea of paying for sex equated with coming of age.

I was slightly saddened by the fact they didn't play much of This House is Not for Sale,

I miss Richie Sambora who was involved in a lot of their earlier song-writing.  Can't for the life of me think why, but I hadn't heard as much of their music between These Days and 'This House..''. 

No comments:

Post a Comment