Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Sporting shorts

I'm going to briefly interrupt my best of 2018 series with some notes on the weekend's sport.

  • Australia bounced back as expected from their close loss in Adelaide to put themselves in the box seat to win the second test inspite of a wonderful innings from Virat Kohli. Who I have to admit has done himself and India no favours in how he responded to his first innings dismissal. during the Perth test. It's been fabulous Cricket to watch, but I just don't see another twist in the tale. 
  • The test has shown what a great bowler Lyon is. 
  • Across the ditch, a wonderful few days for New Zealand Cricket. Williamson's star continues to rise. You get the feeling more fuss would be made about him if he was from another country. Read this piece here
  • Latham was brilliant - his undefeated 264 the highest score by a player carrying their bat through a completed test innings and the highest score by any player during 2018. 
  • The Champions League draw sees - Manchester Unitied v PSG; Roma v Porto, Tottenham v Dortmund; Ajax v Real Madrid; Lyon v Barcelona; Liverpool v Bayern; Athletico Madrid v Juventus; and Schakle v Manchester City. My predictions for what they are worth are in bold.  
  • This week will also see the start of the Big Bash which I can't say I've ever really got excited about. 
I'll certainly write more about the year in sport later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment