Saturday, January 12, 2019

Sporting shorts

It's January, so it is time for tennis. The lead up tournaments are done and the Australian Open is about to start.

Tennis

  • Needless to say I'm impressed with the form of De Minaur and Ash Barty. They have to be Australia's great hopes going into the Open.  De Minaur (winner) and Barty (runner-up) at the Sydney International. If I have read the draw right De Minaur faces a potential match-up with Nadal in the third round, and Barty (Seeded 15) may end up playing Caroline Wozniacki (last years' winner). 
  • So who do I think will win.  The Women's tournament is hard to pick, especially seeing there has been a different winner for each of the last eight Grand Slam tournaments, and it seems the field is so even. 
  • On the Men's side; of the last eight Grand Slam tournaments, Federer has won three, Nadal three, and Djokovic two. I think you'd be brave betting against one of them winning, but my heart would love to see Andy Murray win, especially seeing as he is getting close to the end of his career. As an aside, I'm saddened to hear of Murray's impending retirement. He is a gentleman both on and off the court. I admire how he has often spoken out about Women and their treatment in terms of scheduling and prize money. Appointing Amélie Mauresmo as his coach (from 2014-2016) also showed the value and esteem he has for women. 
  •  I also admire him as a player - a triple grand slam winner, and winner of the last two Olympic tournaments.  A great achievement especially when you consider who he played against. 
  • Back to my question - who do I think will win.  I'm going to pick Federer to win the Men's tournament; and Kerber to win the Women's tournament. 

Cricket

  • I have to admit, it is sad that the One Day Series was not on TV today - it was a good win to Australia, with Handscomb (73*) and Jhye Richardson (4/26) the standouts for Australia; Sharma's 133 wasn't enough to get India home. I don't know much about Jhye Richardson, but he certainly bowled beautifully today.

Asian Cup

  • Australia have split their first two games; a one-nil loss to Jordan was followed by a 3-0 win over Palestine. 
  • Next up is Syria, and should they win, I think they will play Oman in the second round. 


No comments:

Post a Comment