Monday, December 27, 2004

.. Resume countdown

I trust that you had a blessed day with family and friends, and are recovering well from eating too much, sleeping too little, and being spoilt rotten ;). I had a great day saw family on Christmas Day, and then yesterday down to vist friends in Figtree. Much fun had by all.

So.. lets catch up on the countdown.

Drawn From Still Waters Top 10 Albums for 2004
Number 8
The Finn Brothers – Everyone is Here

Finally bought this when I read the lyrics of A Life Between Us, posted on Deborah’s blog. I’ve been a big fan of Neil Finn for sometime. Anytime I’m asked for my favourite lyricists of all time Neil and Tim Finn are on the list. Along with A Life Between Us, other standout tracks are Won’t Give In and Homesick. The chorus of Homesick: Homesick for the people that I live with / Homesick for the spirit that I’m missing / Homesick for the country that I’m living in, really grabs me. Along with Neil and Tim Finn’s voice, it was their song-writing that drew me to Crowded House.

Number 7
U2 – How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

It continues to grow on me. I’m intrigued now as I wait for the tour, and hearing what songs will be played live. My favourite tracks on the CD are City of Blinding Lights, Crumbs from Your Table, One Step Closer. I’m reminded of The Unforgettable Fire, when I listen to the CD.

Number 6
Wilco – A Ghost is Born

Another grower. Probably less consistent than Evermore and R.E.M., but this CD has its own distinctive flavour. On each listen there are more discoveries awaiting you. I love the lyric of Less Than You Think, the track also features 12 minutes or distorted noise (which detracts a little from the CD). Perhaps this is the band daring their audience to skip forward. During the CD, I’ve also at times just stopped to listen. I discovered Wilco via the Murmurs [R.E.M. fan] board.

No comments:

Post a Comment