Thursday, December 23, 2004

Carols at St Andrews

I went to the TBT's Carol's service last Sunday night. The lesson was interesting, he [being the infamous Dean of Sydney] titled his talk What are you looking for this Christmas?. In the lesson he contrasted the search of the Wise Men, and Herod. The wise men search to find the child to worship him. Herod search for the same child, to remove him. [From Matthew 2]

One of the striking comments made was as Philip described a picture, the picture was of a gentleman reading a story to children. The children where enraptured as he engaged with them. This is a picture of humanity. Glancing again at the picture, the man, is Adolf Hitler.

We are have the capacity for good and evil, one difference is simply the stage we are acting on.

Inpsite of moments in the sermon which I found intriguing, on the whole it was difficult to engage with the service. One of the reasons for this was during the intro to the service, the leader made comment to the song I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Perhaps it was this comment that threw me. I've (perhaps wrongly), seen I Still Haven't Found as a song from faith, not a song of doubt. There is a restlessness in the Christian walk, we're not looking for another answer, we're looking to be, to become what God has made us to be.

The Drawn From Still Waters Top Ten Albums of 2004

Between now and New Year's Day, I'll gradually post my favourite Albums. Today I'll begin with the honourable mentions, and number 10.

Norah Jones – Feels Like Home
A great follow up from Come Away With Me. Probably has less standout tracks, but Humble Me and Sunrise are two great tracks. Norah still does have an incredible voice.

Alanis Morrisette – So Called Chaos
Far less antsy than anything she’s recorded before. The songs are as intense as on any of her other records. Everything stands out, as does This Grudge [and those two songs are reason enough to buy the CD]. Musically this is also a little mellower than her previous CD’s.

The Frames - Burn the Maps
The most recent of my 2004 CD Purchases. Probably deserves to be higher, but seeing I've not really listened to much, its an honourable mention. Like many of the CD's on the list, this is a recommendation from the U2 website. The Frames are, I think, from Ireland. Kinda what I'd loosely describe as folk rock.

Number 10
Air - Talkie Walkie
My first contact with Air was through the soundtrack of Lost in Translation. I think it is Alone in Kyoto in the movie? They have quite a beaut sound. After reading of Joe, and Deb's fondness, I decided that I'd buy the CD, and after the first few listens I was taken by Mike Mills as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment