Thursday, December 30, 2004

Drawn From Still Waters Top 10 Albums for 2004

Number 3
Interpol – Antics

Wow! That’s about it. The first time I listened to this CD I was in awe from start to finish. It is probably as close to a flawless album as I’ve heard this year. I’ve not quite managed to get into the lyrics enough as yet, but the musicianship is stunning. I was quite taken with this CD so I also bought their 2002 release Turn on the Bright Lights, they have been compared with Joy Division (I’ve not heard much of Joy Division), but Hands Away, and NYC are awesome, and from Antics, Exit, Evil, Narc, Take You on a Cruise and Slow Hands, are close to the best start of a CD I’ve heard. I read about Interpol on another friend’s website. For that I am quite thankful. Interpol, have a touch of Radiohead (from the Bends era) about them in sound and they share a bleakness of lyric. Perhaps not as much on Antics as on Turn on the Bright Lights.

+++

Yesterday while I was doing a bit of shopping I had a look at one of The OC Soundtracks. While I'm not shy in admitting that I'd not really be that keen on the show, I was staggered to see how many songs on the soundtrack I not only knew, but liked.

+++

Thought that I'd point out a few articles from the SMH that caught my eyes this week. Emily Maguire wrote a piece that echoes some of my feeling for this year
The frustration of it[ed: the talk on values] all is that, while our leaders are busy being horrified by disco remixes and secular school concerts, situations deserving of righteous outrage are ignored.
I've saved the article about movies and dates for future reference, should I need it. Today there is a piece about evil and the existance of God. Interested in reading tomorrow's paper now.

No comments:

Post a Comment