The Australian's magazine is having its 20th Anniversary, and this weekend they had there 20 magical moments of Australian sport (I think since 1988, because Australia II was not listed). I'm going to leave off number one, and let the readers guess, no peeking ;-)
2. Hawthorn v Geelong VFL Grand final (1989)
3. Shane Warne's "Ball of the Century" to Mike Gatting (1993)
4. Greg Norman, Final Round British Open, (1993)
5. Kieran Perkins, 1500m Final, Altanta Olympics (1996)
6. Newcastle v Manly, NRL Grand-final (1997)
7. Australia v South Africa, World Cup, Semi-final (1999)
8. John Eales, Bledisloe Cup, Penalty kick (2000).
9. Tony Lockett's 1300th goal (1999)
10. Men's 4x100 Freestyle Final, (2000)
11. Steve Waugh's (final ball) Century at the SCG, Ashes, (2003)
12. Sydney v West Coast, AFL Grand final (2005)
13. Stephen Bradbury, 1000m Speed Skating Gold, Salt Lake City (2002)
14. Lleyton Hewitt, Wimbeldon (2002)
15. Makybe Diva, Melbourne Cup (2005)
16. Australia v Uruguay, World Cup Qualifier (2005)
17. Matthew Hayden's 380 v Zimbabwe (2003)
18. Casey Stoner MotoGP (2007)
19. Adam Gilchrist's 57 ball 100, Ashes (20006-07)
20. Stephen Hooker wins Pole-vault, Beijing (2008)
It's an interesting list, I would definitely add Matthew Mithcam winning the gold in the diving at Beijing earlier this year with the highest scoring dive. In terms of global events, its Manchester United's treble in 1997-98 especially their Champions League Great Escape; maybe Michael Phelps (2008), the Red-Sox win (2005 or 2006), Arsenal's undefeated season in 2003-2004.
So.. what did I leave off??
Also from the 20th Anniversary Issues - the top 20 Australian Songs from the last 20 years.