Saturday, October 04, 2008

On Failure and a comic's approach to death

I caught this commencement address, given by JK Rowling - the CASE email. Rowling spoke about failure and its benefits, and a lot of this rings true for me, in fact, behind most successes are many failed attempts

I quite like the below excerpt:

However, the fact that you are graduating from Harvard suggests that you are not very well-acquainted with failure. You might be driven by a fear of failure quite as much as a desire for success. Indeed, your conception of failure might not be too far from the average person's idea of success, so high have you already flown academically. [...]  Now, I am not going to stand here and tell you that failure is fun. That period of my life was a dark one, and I had no idea that there was going to be what the press has since represented as a kind of fairy tale resolution. I had no idea how far the tunnel extended, and for a long time, any light at the end of it was a hope rather than a reality. [...]  So why do I talk about the benefits of failure? Simply because failure meant a stripping away of the inessential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy into finishing the only work that mattered to me. Had I really succeeded at anything else, I might never have found the determination to succeed in the one arena I believed I truly belonged. I was set free, because my greatest fear had already been realised, and I was still alive, and I still had a daughter whom I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
When a humorist receives a dire prognosis, there's nothing left to do but make God laugh  [PJ O'Rourke via Search]

No comments:

Post a Comment