Friday, February 28, 2014

Five of my favourite singers (Part Two: Male)

Here's the second half of my post, and this one's my favourite male singers. The honorable mentions, Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam), Jonsi (Sigur Ros & solo) and Dan Haseltine (Jars of Clay).

Matthew Perryman Jones
Song: Canción de la Noche (from Land of the living)
I discovered MPJ through Noisetrade and Land of the Living would be one of my top 5 albums of all time.  MPJ has an powerful & emotive voice.



Ryan O'Neal (Sleeping at Last)
Song: In the embers (from Atlas - Light EP)
If you are a fan of the Twilight Series or Greys' Anatomy you would have heard his music, as its often featured.  I enjoy listening to his music through headphones.  Really love this lyric of this song..
Like fireworks
We pull apart the dark
Compete against the stars
With all of our hearts
Till our temporary brilliance turns to ash
We pull apart the darkness while we can



The Edge (U2)
Song: Sunday Bloody Sunday - (Live from Santiago during 1998)
Was touch & go whether to include Bono or The Edge. For some reason its Edge's backing vocals which often grab me.  During the 1997/8 PopMart tour The Edge had a solo spot, and on the final few legs of the tour The Edge played and sang Sunday Bloody Sunday on his own, which as you can see transforms the song.



Glen Hansard (The Frames, The Swell Season & solo)
Song: Say it to me now (solo version, the song is also on The Frames' 1995 album Fitzcarraldo)
Glen's voice has always grabbed me because its so varied, and carries so much emotion.


Josh Ritter
Song: Change of Time (from Live at Iveagh Gardens)
Ritter is a masterful storyteller with both his music & words.


No comments:

Post a Comment