Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Voice - week one

The third season of The Voice began on Channel Nine this week.  The best part of the show for me is the first two rounds. The blind auditions are great as the contestants are judged on their voice (though it's also about how they fit into the the coaches team...); then the battle-rounds have two artists sing the same song - the best of these sound like duets - (listen to Celia Pavey & Anna Weatherup; Mitchell Anderson & Steve Clisby (from season 2) and Kelsie Rimmer & Brittany Cairns (season 1))

Joel Madden is now the only coach remaining from the original season. He's joined by Ricky Martin (who was on last year); Kylie Minogue and Will I Am (both first-timers).  Some minor tweaks from last year, each coach can now save the losing singer from two battle-rounds.

The first week now gone, I think more jumped at out me last year.  But the ones which really stood out to me were, Harry Healy (Romeo & Juliet, beautifully sung & played), Brittanie Shipway (On My Own, easily one of the best versions of the song, I've heard); and Emily Rex (Pure Imagination, like Will I Am, one of my fav. songs).

Couple of other observations the dynamic between the coaches this year is so fun (and playful). I don't know a whole lot about Will I Am, but he's been a great addition. Loved watching him during Emily's performance, he looked like a kid in a candy store (after all, she was singing his favourite song).

Looking forward to seeing what this weeks blind auditions will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment