Monday, June 23, 2003

Refugee Sunday

Yesterday was Refugee Sunday. It's a reminder for us all to think about those who for whatever reason are forced to leave their nation of origin.

I don't think immigration policy is something that I'm equipped to deal with. I am not sure on a sustainable population for Australia, I am not sure on the impact of raising our refugee intake.

But what I am sure of, is that people are to be treated humanely, I am sure that we are to look after those who are weak, we are to treat the vulnerable with compassion. And in fact, they way we treat the weakest amongst us is a judge of our humanity.

Friday, an Australian Family court ruled that indefinite detention of children is illegal. It blows my mind that we needed a court to tell us that.

Surely there is a better way ...

Yesterday was Refugee Sunday, it reminds me of a bleak chapter of Australia's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment