Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Bath, August 10

Had a lovely train ride through the countryside and out to Bath, home of Jane Austen. I did a great tour of Bath, and found out that I wasn’t going to be able to see the Royal Crescent, as there was a Three Tenors concert in Bath, and once I left Bath, I went on to Stratford upon Avon. (Which during my holiday I discovered simply means River).

I did find Bath inspiring, while I was there; I went to the Jane Austen museum, which I found quite interesting, looking at the women behind many of the great works of literature.

The Georgian Architecture of Bath was also beautiful, the Royal Circus, and Crescent were standouts. (Ed – I’ll try to scan the postcard I bought). The other highlight in Bath was looking crossing Putney Bridge, one of the few bridges that has shops on both sides of the bridge.

One of the things that struck me was that both Shakespeare and Austen wrote from the same inspiration that we all have, the people and experiences and tales of their times, albeit that they both had a great deal more talent. They crafted there stories so finely, creating rich and real characters that transcended their age. (I did wonder then, and still kind of do, does our age have an author who has the same ability. What are the cultural relics our age will leave behind).

August 10

The platform is a buzz with nervous optimism, the optimism holds for the train trip, it’s the optimism that comes with the first day of the season, the inks barely dried on the transfers, and we see them in the flesh, on the field.

The journey home, slightly more subdued, the optimism of the morning dented by defeat, yes defeat on penalties, but still defeat. Maybe a little oppressed by the weather (Ed. I found out later the warmest day in England, in recorded history, 40 C).

Since then, I’ve noticed a few differences between Australian, and English crowds. In England, opposing fans sit on opposite sides of the stadium, in Australia, highlighted last Saturday, you can support the home team, and be completely surrounded by fans of the other team. The rivalry is much more obvious in England, and it does not take on the same light-heartedness you get in Australia – though maybe a Victorian reader could confirm, AFL in Victoria, would be far closer to the English crowd, the many passionate spectators I’ve seen on television berating the umpires, and even the players is evidence for me.

+ + +

Read this beaut article tying Sport and Shakespeare together, from The Australian this weekend, (unfortunately, you now need to pay to read the article - if your interested let me know, and I'll send a photocopy to you).

The article Where there's a will - Brush up on your Shakespeare and start improving your life points to a new book, Shakespeare: The Coach by Ric Charlesworth, known to many people as the coach of the Gold Medal winning Australian women's Hockey team.

Here's a few quotes he uses:

Be great in act, as you
have been in thought
[King John]

The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones
[Julius Caeser]

This above all - to thine own self be true,
and it must follow, as the night
the day, thou canst not then be false
to any man
[Hamlet]

Things without all remedy
Should be without regard
What's done is done
[Macbeth]

I found it a very interesting article, the article also talks a little about the sort of life Shakespeare lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment