Thursday, August 05, 2004

Princes St Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland - August 15

The Tour of the Highlands was amazing. Being on the surface of Loch Ness and seeing some of those sonar displays was amazing. Being on the Isle of Skye, walking up the range on a brisk day was remarkable. The view was brilliant, it was so clear, so natural, (then one of my fellow-travellers pulls out a cigarette… go figure)

The Highlands themselves remind me somewhat of New Zealand, Central Otago, mainly because of the ruggedness. The guides who led the tour were also wonderful. They brought the rich Scottish History to life, with their passion and humour.

After spending the first two and a bit weeks of my trip as an independent traveller it was great to travel with people. As an independent traveller you do have a little more control over where you go, how long you stay, but for that freedom, what you sacrifice is the opportunity to sit down over a hot-chocolate, coffee, and discuss your day, talk about what you’ve seen.

[Ed. I think that’s parts of my personality coming out, I do love to share, love to hear what other people think, what others liked, and as I travelled by myself, there’s often so much that inspires me, and then without the ability to share it simply disappears. I often said to myself, for that reason, the first time that I’d go to Europe, would be after I am married. So as I (re)discovered Europe, felt the richness of the History flow through my veins, I would be able to share that, with the rest of my life.

Though, before I left for my trip the first time, I said I can’t keep putting it of. I need to redeem the time that I have. And hopefully I am a better man of God for it].

No comments:

Post a Comment