Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Saturday July 24 2004 AD

Well, am in transit from Sydney to Brisbane at the moment its been a smooth flight. We are due to land in 20ish minutes. I’m going to try and find a church tonight, and also head to the AFL as well. I’ve been reading The Market Driven Church, which has been a fascinating read – definitely worth a second read, and will blog more on it later. The chapter I just finished reading was on Sport, and I was wondering if there was much difference between Australia, America, and Europe in relation to sport. I don’t really think so.

Southbank – July 25th

Found everything alright yesterday. I did get to the AFL last night. Am not really going to talk about the game, I think it was either in the Half-Time break, or just before, I looked down, and a message flashed up onto the big screen – it was something like; ‘KS, I love you so much' and then the words 'Will You Marry Me' flashed up, it was beaut. I’ve never seen an event like that before (oh, discounting all the romantic comedies). For the first few moments of the next quarter I was wondering, did she say yes. I hope she said yes. Personally, I’d have to be pretty sure before I’d do something like that, then again my idea of romantic isn't that really.

At the bounce of the third quarter, my suspense was ended, as the words ‘KS has accepted the proposal’ flashed up. It was a beaut moment.

As I have wondered around the city so far, I enjoyed the open feel to the city. Brisbane is dominated by the river which winds its way through the city. It has been a fairly mild day, at the moment, I’m sitting down listening to a Brass Band comp, the music has been special the highlights, What A Wonderful World (which always brings back Good Morning Vietnam), How Great Thou Art, and Penny Lane.

The city is growing; I have seen four or five cranes while I was wondering around Southbank. Southbank wasn’t too bad, but I think what I enjoyed about it was to be able to wonder along the river, looking across at the CBD, while watching people, ride, blade, or run past enjoying the day. It also seems to be a very green city, with a number of open spaces, and trees along the streets.

Thanks to some advice from Deb I went to Ann St. Presbyterian Church. The evening church was relatively small, roughly 20-30 people, but it was also very warm, and friendly. One of the highlights was the number of conversations I had about God and the Christian life after the service. It was beautiful. The text for the evening was 1 Cor 15. During the welcome the service leader read this poem, and one of the things that stood out was the comment that our in Christ our Past is redeemed, our present makes sense, and our future secure. Continuing on, she read a poem which talked about the difference between the Western Church, and Christians under persecution in China, by in large, down here, we talk the walk, we talk about the Christian life, we talk about what it should look like, while they often walk the talk.

The sermon talked of the pillars of the Gospel. The death, burial, resurrection, and appearing of Christ. How these four pillars are testified to in both Scripture and history.

The other recollection I have about the service, was the mission spot in which the speaker showed a video containing an Audio Adrenaline song in a presentation. I’ve included the words below. It was quite challenging, bringing to my mind words from Isaiah. [Isaiah’s Call in Chapter 6]

Hands and Feet

An image flashed across my TV screen
Another broken heart comes in to view
I saw the pain and I turned my back
Why can't I do the things I want to?
I'm willing yet I'm so afraid
You give me strength
When I say

CHORUS:

I want to be your hands
I want to be your feet
I'll go where you send me
I'II go where you send me

REPEAT

And l try, yeah I try
To touch the world like
You touched my life
And I find my way
To be your hands

I've abandoned every selfish thought
I've surrendered every thing I've got
You can have everything I am
And perfect everything
I'm not I'm willing,
I'm not afraid
You give me strength When I say

This is the lifetime I turned my back on you
From now on, I'll go so
Send me where You want me to
I finally have a mission
I promise I'll complete
I don't need excuses
When I am your hands and feet

Words & Music by Mark Stuart, Bob Herdman, Will McGinniss, Tyler Burkum & Charlie Peacock Up in The Mix Music/ Andi Beat Goes On – BMI Flicker U.S.A.
Publishing - BMI

No comments:

Post a Comment